Rocky Roads are great to make when you have chocolate leftover from Easter or Christmas or if you want to make something sweet for a treat that does not involve baking.
What is there not to love about a Rocky Road, you’ve got chocolate and plenty of it, crunchy pieces of cereal or biscuits, soft marshmallows. You can add extras like dried fruit and nuts or your favourite chocolate bars.
I used a mixture of milk and dark chocolate for the melted part of my Rocky Road but you can use your favourite bar, it’s entirely up to you.
I used the Malteser chocolates I had leftover from my No Bake Malteser Cheesecake you can use milk or white chocolate Maltesers, the Teasers that you get from a box of celebrations. You could always add in some honeycomb into you Rocky Road, or sprinkle some on top.
Malteser Rocky Road
Makes 16 Large Squares
400g Milk or Dark Chocolate, melted (or a combination of both)
150g Butter, melted
130g Maple Syrup or Golden Syrup, Honey
100g Rice Krispies or Gluten Free Puffed Rice Cereal
100g Mini Marshmallows or Large Marshmallows cut into smaller pieces
200g Malteser Chocolates, chopped (use your favourite chocolate bars if you like)
130 – 150g Malteser Chocolate Spread
Marshmallow and Chocolate Pieces to decorate
- Line a 9 inch (23cm) square baking tin with clingfilm, then set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate, butter and maple syrup, set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stir occasionally until melted. Once completely melted remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little.
- Stir in the Rice Krispies until they are completely coated in chocolate.
- Next mix in the marshmallows and chocolate pieces until they are evenly distributed (wait until the mixture has cooled so that the melted chocolate does not melt the marshmallows and added chocolate).
- Pour your rocky road mixture into your prepared tin, spreading it out evenly with a spatula or knife.
- Place your rocky road in the refrigerator until firm.
- Put the Malteser spread in a small heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave for 10 – 15 seconds, just so it is softened slightly as this will make it easier to spread.
- Sprinkle over a few mini marshmallows and a few chocolate pieces, then return to the fridge until the topping has set.
- Cut into squares and store in a container in the fridge.
Serve your Rocky Road with a cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate… you could go all out and have whipped cream and marshmallows on your hot cocoa for a real treat,