I love Amaretti Biscuits and I love pistachios so why not combine the two.
These pistachio Amaretti’s are soft and chewy and have been rolled in chopped pistachios for a little crunch, for an alternative you can always roll them in a mixture of icing sugar and caster sugar. They are quick and easy to make plus they’re gluten and dairy free so everyone can enjoy them.
When I asked my mom and dad to try my Amaretti biscuits they said that they looked like stuffing balls… which I found quite funny as looking at them they kinda did, obviously they did not taste like it.
If you’re not sure on whether you like pistachios half the recipe and try them out, it might turn out you love them. If you plan on gifting them to love ones as Christmas presents you can always double the recipe or make a selection of Amaretti Biscuits, like the traditional Almond Amaretti Biscuits or Hazelnut Amaretti Biscuits.
Pistachio Amaretti Cookies
Makes 24 – 26 Cookies
228g Pistachios, ground
140g Almonds, ground
140g Caster Sugar
2 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp Pistachio Essence or Vanilla Extract
80g Pistachios, chopped for rolling
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a food processor grind your pistachios, almonds and sugar until no large pieces remain. Transfer your nut mixture to a medium sized bowl.
- Add your egg whites and flavouring to your nut mixture and mix with a spatula until you get a sticky dough (making sure that you have mixed all the ground nuts at the bottom of the bowl).
- Put your chopped pistachios in a small bowl, and set aside with rolling.
- Roll your amaretti dough into balls (I did a tablespoon for each of the balls) then roll in the chopped nuts, coating the sticky dough. Place on a baking tray, then carry on rolling.
- Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, until the edges are starting to go golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the tray, they will still be a little soft but they will firm up more once cooled.