This is my go to recipe when making healthy granola!!
You can make it anyway you like, or if you have some nuts or dried fruit you need using up chuck them in.
You can make this Homemade Granola any way you like
Personalise it to your taste;
Add your favourite nuts, dried fruit and spices.
Your favourite sweetener, maple syrup, carob or honey etc
Customise it according to your diet;
Gluten Intolerance, use gluten free oats.
Vegan Diet, swap out honey for another sweetener such as agave syrup or date syrup.
I made this granola round Christmas for gifting to my sisters and Aunty, changing out some of the ingredients and swapping them for different ones according to their diet. I have a list for each of them to say what they can’t have due to their intolerance’s. Both my sisters and Aunty are gluten and wheat intolerant.
My one sister can’t have cinnamon or coconut so I swapped out some of the coconut ingredients for different ones.
* Instead of the cinnamon, I used more ginger – which is good for the digestion
* Coconut oil for sunflower
* Coconut sugar for brown sugar – which isn’t as healthy I know, but I thought a little couldn’t hurt especially for a treat.
* Coconut Nectar for honey
My Aunt finds it difficult to digest small seeds so I omitted flax and chia seeds from the granola and when I divided it into three and I stirred a tablespoon through my sisters portion.
I normally have my granola on top of some yogurt with some fresh fruit.
Homemade Gluten Free Granola
450g Gluten Free Oats
200g Nuts, chopped if big
(100g Thick Flaked Almonds, 60g Pecans & 40g Walnuts)
130g Seeds (40g Pumpkin Seeds, 40g Sunflower Seeds, 10g Brown Flaxseeds, 10g Golden Flaxseeds & 10g Chia Seeds)
320g Dried Fruit, chopped if large pieces (80g Sultanas, 80g Pink Flame Raisins, 80g Golden Flame Raisins, 80g Raisins)
3 teaspoons Spices (1 tsp Nutmeg, 1 tsp Cinnamon, & 1 tsp Ginger)
80g Oil (80g Coconut Oil)
120g Sweetner (40g Coconut Sugar, 40g Coconut Nectar, & 40g Maple Syrup)
1 tbsp Vanilla Paste
Cacao Nibs (optional)
* ingredients that I used for this batch of granola *
See the bottom of the page for different variations of the granola and ideas to try.
- Weigh out all your dry ingredients; oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and spices into a large bowl and mix together. (If using dried fruit such as apricots, banana chips, papaya, pineapple, stir these through after baking).
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 2 and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Make sure your baking tray has sides, so the granola doesn’t spill.
- In a saucepan over low heat melt the coconut oil, sugar, syrup and vanilla paste. Gently stirring until the sugar has dissolved and everything is mixed together.
- Pour the coconut syrup mixture over the dry ingredients and stir well, until everything is coated.
- Transfer the granola mix to the baking tray spreading evenly on top. Bake in the oven for 45 – 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes so the granola bakes evenly. It should have a nice golden brown colour.
- When the granola is out of the oven, stir through any dried fruit you haven’t already, then leave to cool. Once cool transfer to a jar or an airtight container.
Variation and Ideas
Here are some ideas for your homemade granola, the bold text is what you need for the recipe and below them are a few variations of what you can put in the mix and different ingredients you can try. If you can think of any more variations or other ingredients to use let me know and i’ll add them to the list.
⇒ 450g Gluten Free Oats
⇒ 450g Rolled Oats
⇒ 300g Oats & 150g Oat Bran
⇒ 100g Flaked Almonds, 60g Pecans & 40g Walnuts
⇒ 100g hazelnuts, 60g Pistachios & 40g Macadamia Nuts
⇒ 100g Peanuts, 60g Cashews & 40g Brazil Nuts
⇒ 40g Pumpkin Seeds, 40g Sunflowers, 10g (1tbsp) Golden Flax Seeds, 10g (1tbsp) Brown Flaxseeds & 10g (1tbsp) Chia Seeds
320g Dried Fruit
⇒ 80g Sultanas, 80g Pink Flame Raisins, 80g Golden Flame Raisins, 80g Raisins
⇒ 80g Goji Berries, 80g Cranberries, 80g Blueberries, 80g Golden Berries
⇒ 80g Apricots, 80g Apple, 80g Mulberries, 80g Banana Chips
⇒ 80g Mango, 80g Coconut Flakes, 80g Papaya, 80g Pineapple
⇒ 80g Cherries, 80g Ariona Berries, 80g Strawberries, 80g Mulberries
⇒ 80g Prunes, 80g Peach, 80g Dates, 80g Figs
3 teaspoons Spices
⇒ 1 tsp Nutmeg, 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp Ginger
⇒ 1 tsp Cardamom, 1 tsp Allspice
⇒ 80g Coconut Oil
⇒ 80g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
⇒ 80g Vegetable Oil
⇒ 80g Sunflower Oil
⇒ 40g Coconut Sugar, 40g Coconut Nectar, 40g Maple Syrup
⇒ 40g Honey, 40g Agave Syrup, 40g Carob Syrup
⇒ 40g Date Syrup, 40g Brown Rice Syrup, 40g Golden Brown Syrup
⇒ 1 tbsp Vanilla Paste
⇒ 1 tbsp Almond Extract
⇒ Cacao Nibs
⇒ Freeze-dried Fruit (Raspberries or Strawberries)
⇒ Hemp Seeds