A while back I made my friend and his family this Carrot & Walnut Cake, it was really moist, I loved all the pieces of walnuts in it and I even enjoyed the cream cheese icing on it which I’m not usually a big fan of. My mom isn’t really into Carrot Cakes but when I told her how nice it was she wanted me to make one for us, but to be a little different I decide to make them a little muffins.
Carrot and Walnut Muffins
For the Cupcakes
200g Soft Light Brown Sugar
200ml Sunflower Oil
2 medium Eggs
200g Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
200g Carrots, peeled and grated
100g Walnut Pieces, chopped
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the icing
125g Icing Sugar, sifted
50g Unsalted Butter, softened
75g Full Fat Cream Cheese, chilled – I used Philadelphia Cream Cheese
12 Walnut Halves, to decorate
* If you like a lot of Cream Cheese Icing on your muffins then I would probably double the recipe, as I only wanted a small amount.
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 and line a deep 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. In a large mixing bowl place the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla, then beat together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and thickened.
3. Sift over the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon then fold in gently until everything is well combined. Fold in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts until evenly dispersed.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cake cases. Bake in the middle of your preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown, risen and the middle bounces back when lightly pressed. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make the Cream Cheese Icing beat the icing sugar and butter together in a large bowl until fluffy – you can do this by hand or using an electric mixer. Add the cream cheese and briefly beat together again until just combined – Don’t overbeat or it will become runny.
6. Spread the Cream Cheese icing over the muffins and top with a walnut half.