I went to Webbs of Wychbold with my sister the other day and I got some new bakeware with some of my Birthday money.
I had a look in Hobbycraft and Lakeland and some of the things that I got were…
One of the first recipes that I was going to do so that I could use my new Madeleine Tins was this recipe from the Hairy Bikers’ in The Big Book of Baking.
1 Large Egg
50g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
50g Plain Flour
Icing Sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5.
2. Melt the butter, I did this in the microwave for 20 seconds. Use a little of this butter with a pastry brush to lightly grease your Madeleine moulds. Then set the rest of the butter aside.
3. In a mixing bowl beat the egg, caster sugar and vanilla extract with an electric hand whisk until the mixture is very pale, thicken and the beaters leave a trail in the mixture when they are lifted from the bowl.
4. Sift the flour into the bowl, then using a large metal spoon gently fold it into the mixture. Pour in the melted butter you set aside and fold this gently into the mixture too.
5. Spoon the mixture into each of the moulds, then bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the Madeleines are well risen and are a pale golden brown.
Leave to cool for 5 minutes then remove them from the mould and place them on a wire rack.
Dust with icing sugar if desired.
Considering that this was my first time making Madeleines I think that they turned out really well. Okay I would of liked to of got them out of the tin a lot neater but oh my… didn’t they taste delicious!