Never ever tried avocados before, I have been told that they taste quite bland. I couldn’t bring myself to eat them on their own (not just yet not feeling that brave, maybe sometime in the future), so I thought that I would give some healthier baking ago. After looking at a few blogs where they had baked using mashed avocado and trying to find a recipe that used ingredients that I had already got in the cupboard I finally decided to go with this one from The Londoner.
Recipe Adapted from The Londoner
1 Small Ripe Avocado (when it’s mashed you should get 1/2 cup)
1 Large Egg
1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar – I used Dark Muscovado
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
White Chocolate Chips – I used 100g bag of Silverspoon chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper then put to one side.
2. Cut your avocado in half and scoop out the flesh, mash with a fork or put in a food processor. Measure your 1/2 Cup of mashed avocado and then place this into a mixing bowl with all the other ingredients except the chocolate chips.
3. Mix together with a wooden spoon or a hand held mixer, either way you will have a shiny mixture at the end of it. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Using a tablespoon place spoonfuls onto your prepared baking tray, I made 8 cookies. (Leave a gap between each one as I found that mine spread quite a lot).
5. Place in the preheat oven and bake them for 15 minutes, try giving them a tap and they should have a nice firm, shiny coating. If you find that they are still wobbly or sticky put them back in for another few minutes. Mine took a total of 23 minutes, unfortunately they spread and joined together and they were not shiny. Leave them to cool on the tray.
The cookies were a complete disaster, they spread so much even though the recipe said that they wouldn’t, I had to bake them for a lot longer about 23 minutes in total. Also from looking at the pictures from where I got the recipe it said and I could see the cookies were still shiny, mine were sadly not – they turned out like pancakes.
At least I can say that I have now tried baking with avocados and attempt to bake a healthier cookie. I think that both my mom and dad will agree that they didn’t really look that appetising, they were too soft – I couldn’t even get them off whole as they turned to mush. I tried one when they were slightly warm and it was ok I suppose but my mom and dad did not like them they said it left a funny after taste.
If you have any tips or advice on baking with avocado or a really good recipe that does not leave any funny taste I would love to know.