Earlier on today I made Jo Wheatley’s Raspberry Torte getting ready for The Great British Bake Off tonight and also to feed my raspberry addiction… It was so good!
I have seen many people tweeting that they have made this cake and saying how delicious the recipe was, I thought that I would give it ago, I’m so glad that I did and my mom and dad loved it too. I don’t have any of her books yet but after this I think I might have to go out and get it. I got this recipe of the dailymail website.
150g Self Raising Flour
150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
150g Caster Sugar
150g Ground Almonds
2 Large Eggs, beaten
150g Raspberries, plus extra to serve
Icing Sugar, to dust
I also added 1 teaspoon Almond Extract, just to make it that little more almondy.
1. Preheat the oven the Gas Mark 4. Grease and base line a 23cm (9 inch) cake tin with a disc of parchment paper.
2. Put the flour, butter, sugar, ground almonds and eggs into a bowl and beat together until pale, light and fluffy.
3. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Push the raspberries, pointy sides up, into the batter.
4. Bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 1 hour, checking the cake after 45 minutes (ovens vary, so it may be ready) and covering it loosely with foil once it has browned to prevent the top colouring too much.
5. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then transfer the torte to a cooling rack until cold. Scatter with extra raspberries and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Seriously this cake is so unbelievably easy and the results that you get are amazing, plus it fed my raspberry addiction. So make sure that you give it ago, you won’t regret it and I will certainly be trying out other recipes of Jo Wheatley’s if this is anything to go by.