I love this raspberry cake and so do the rest of my family, I’ve lost count on how many times I have made this. So when it comes to birthdays, instead of making them a nice pretty decorated cake… they want this cake.
Made this cake when my brother came down from uni at Christmas as he hadn’t tried it… So there were the four of us (Me, mom, dad and my brother) – this cake only lasted 24 hours!!
So we had dinner and had a slice for dessert… But my brother is always eating and decide to have a midnight snack… another slice of cake – so everyone else had one even though they were full the make sure that they got their fair share.
150g Butter, softened
150g Caster Sugar
150g Self Raising Flour
150g Ground Almonds
2 Large Eggs
1tsp Almond Extract
6tsp Raspberry Jam
150-170g Raspberries (Fresh or Frozen) either are good I’ve tried both
50g Flaked Almonds
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, and grease and line a 23cm (9 inch) round cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the almond extract.
4. Fold in the flour and ground almonds until the mixture is smooth.
5. Place half of the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth it over. Dot the raspberry jam all over, half a teaspoon at a time – use a knife to gently spread it if necessary.
6. Scatter over the raspberries, then drop the remaining mixture all over the fruit and smooth it over – again if it helps use a small palette knife to help spread over the holes.
7. Scatter the flaked almonds on top of the cake mixture and bake it in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until golden
Serve on its own, with cream, ice cream, fresh fruit, whatever you fancy!!